Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Kindly reminder of love

I turned 45 yesterday. 45. A number that when I was 25 I could not imagine reaching. What would I be doing? Did I accomplish ANYTHING? Would I be happy? Would I be successful? I love that my answers are not so simple. To my 25 year old self I would say, well, you are not the next great Archaeologist, but you grew into an amazing pastry chef who switched gears to teach children who have greater challenges in everyday life than you can imagine. Did I accomplish anything? Sure. I have an amazing family, we love each other and gasp! We actually LIKE each other. If there is a greater accomplishment I would like to hear it. I went back to school after 40 and completed a teaching credential and two masters degrees, all while sitting in a classroom full of 20 and 30 somethings. Am I happy? You bet. Sure there are days I would like to pull the covers over my head and wait for the day to pass me by, but where would that get me? I have the gift of health, of life, and I need to share my joy of just being present. How dare we say we are unhappy when we have so much? Lastly, would I be successful. This one is a challenge in a way because everyone measures success in different ways. Can I afford a new car that I desperately need? Nope, but the big behemoth we refer to as Shreek (because it is ugly and green) can get me to place to place without much hassle. Can we take amazing vacations? Strike two! But we can have fun in our own back yard swimming in the pool we got off of Craigslist. Do I have enough money at the end of the month to sock away in my retirement fund? Holy cow that is so funny I won't even address it! But yes, I am successful. My success comes from my thriving family, my amazing friends, and the relationships I have with my parents, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, and all the people I am lucky enough to be part of their lives. So remember to appreciate the years as they tick by, hug the people who bring you joy, and most of all celebrate the fortune of YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment